Apple announced iOS 12, the latest version of iOS for iPhone & iPad. It comes with performance improvements, improvements to Siri, the introduction of Memoji and Group FaceTime plus much more. We have an overview of the key features.
Shared Experiences with AR Kit 2
The new version of AR Kit multiple users to interact with each other in the same artificial reality environment and introduces a new AR file format available throughout iOS including apps like Messages, Safari, Mail, Files and News, delivering powerful graphics and animation features.
Memoji including Toungue & Wink detection!!
On iPhone X more new Animoji have been included with ghost, koala, tiger and T. rex. In addition the iOS 12 introduces highly personalised Memoji characters. Create beautifully designed Memoji right within Messages by choosing from a set of inclusive and diverse characteristics to form a unique personality. Both now feature winks and tongue detection!
New camera effects also bring Animoji, Memoji, Filters, Text and Stickers to Messages and FaceTime.
Group FaceTime makes it easy to chat with multiple people at the same time. Participants can be added at any time, join later if the conversation is still active and choose to join using video or audio from an iPhone, iPad or Mac or even participate using FaceTime audio from Apple Watch.
Introducing Siri Shortcuts
Siri Shortcuts deliver a new, faster way to get things done with the ability for any app to work with Siri. You can create a simple shortcut to complete a task or group a number of actions from different apps together to complete at once.
Do Not Disturb, Notifications and Screen Time
iOS 12 includes improvements to help you better manage your time using Do Not Disturb & Notifications. Apple has introduced new tools to help you manage your and your kids screen time with detailed reports and the much asked for App limits.
CarPlay adds support for third-party navigation apps including Google Maps & Waze!
Apple is bringing performance improvements to iOS 12 and is focused on delivering improvements all the way back to the iPhone 5s, introduced in 2013.
- Photos introduces a new For You tab and much improved sharing options.
- Redesigned Apple Books (renamed from iBooks), Apple News & Stocks (now also on iPad) apps.
- Voice Memos is now available on iPad and adds iCloud support to sync recordings and edits across devices.
- Siri translation expands to more than 40 language pairs and brings more knowledge of sports, celebrities, food and nutrition. Siri can also surface favorite photos by person, place, event, time and topic.
- Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch adds support for student ID cards.
- Enhancements to privacy & security.